Lutheran Church …
We began at the northeast corner of
5th and Broad Streets in Dexter Village in 1944 with the purchase of
an old Baptist church building, moved to Baker Road in late 1956, and to our
current location on North Territorial Road, 1/3 mile west of Dexter-Pinckney
Road, in 1972. In 2006 we completed
a major addition and renovation of our church building.
1973-1994 our congregation ran a Lutheran Elementary
School for grades K-8. The building, located just behind our
church building, still serves us well for Sunday School, as a work area for
church projects, and now houses the pastor’s office.
In the first 26 years of our history
we had seven resident pastors and numerous vacancy pastors; then Pastor John
Huebner served from 1970-1978, and Pastor Porinsky has been with us from
mid-1978 to the present.
Originally many of our members came from agricultural backgrounds. Today many work in Ann Arbor, Plymouth, Saline,
or in the suburbs of Detroit .
Our members can relate to people with hectic lives and long commutes,
because many of us are in the same position.
currently have about 200 members; only 32 of them are age 14 and under, but of
those, 16 are age 3 and under.
We’ve been very blessed with babies recently. We
are currently investigating improving and expanding our ministry to young
children and their parents.
members and congregation are not affluent, but we’ve been quite blessed
financially. Our congregation is
large enough to offer some activities and fellowship opportunities, and small
enough so that an active member can easily get to know everyone. New members can become very influential
and productive in a very short time.
Perhaps our most popular activity for the past 6 years is our annual
Christmas Play, written by us, and involving about ¼ of our members for two
community also knows us from the paid editorial ads we have been submitting to
the local newspapers, the Dexter
Leader and Chelsea
Standard, weekly from late
1998 through the end of 2003, and less frequently for three years after
that. Recently our pastor has had
the privilege of writing articles for a column that the new editor has
initiated, “Ministerial Message.”
We have also been represented by a booth at Dexter Daze in August.
emphasis is on God’s Word and Sacraments, from our Sunday School to our 3-year
Confirmation program for children in grades 6 through 8 or 9, taught by our
Pastor; from the Sunday service, which is liturgical and traditional and
includes a sermon explaining and applying a portion of the Bible, to our weekly
women’s Bible study and our other Bible classes.
Lutheran Church is a member of the Wisconsin
Evangelical Lutheran Synod (WELS).
We hope you’ll join us, either at worship or at any other public event
shown on our calendar.